Assistant Public Defenders in locations throughout the State of Maryland. Offers will be extended for
specific regions of the state and will be extended based on the candidates asserted geographic preferences and limitations.
OPD provides superior representation to indigent defendants throughout the State of Maryland. The Agency’s vision is for Justice, Fairness, and Dignity for All. Employees are committed to the core values of a culture of excellence, client-centered representation, tenacious advocacy, and are united as a team in achieving the Agency’s mission.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
An Assistant Public Defender combines their demonstrated dedication to the representation of indigent clients with their strong and zealous litigation skills to provide exceptional representation on behalf of all
their clients. The attorneys in these positions are expected to work in
dependently in managing active caseloads while simultaneously working in team-oriented environments focused on a client-centered approach to representation. Successful candidates for these positions will begin their employment with OPD in January, 2020.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Zealous representation of indigent defendants charged with misdemeanor criminal and traffic matters.
• Ability to competently and resourcefully prepare for and manage an active caseload; including, but not limited to the handling of bail review hearings, District Court trials, preliminary hearings, violation of
probation hearings, and modification of sentence hearings.
• Actively communicate with clients, team members, and resources for optimal client outcomes.
•Continuously seek professional development through trainings, continuing legal education and trial skills courses.
TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Demonstrated commitment to zealous and comprehensive public defense.
• Exposure to the proceedings and pace of busy trial courts.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
• Ability to work independently and effectively manage an active caseload.
• All offers will be contingent on membership in good standing in the Maryland Bar by December, 2019.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for these positions please submit a: (1) current resume, (2) cover letter, (3) law school transcript (official or unofficial); (4) list of references, (5) completed 3L Supplemental Information Sheet (available on our website under “Careers”), and (6) completed Applicant Essay (available on our website under “Careers”).
Please submit all materials in one email to email@example.com. In the subject line of the email please indicate “2018 3L Attorney Application.” Incomplete applications will not be considered.
CLOSE DATE: OCTOBER 22, 2018
The Maryland Office of the Public Defender is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourage people historically underrepresented in the practice of law to apply. Assistant Public Defenders are full-time employees who serve at the pleasure of the Public Defender. Criminal Procedure Art., Section 16-203(d). Assistant Public Defenders cannot engage in the private practice of law while in this position.